January 13, 2014 to April 30, 2014
Thursday & Fridays 9:00AM – 12:00PM (no classes during the regular breaks/holidays, plus 2 weeks self-study for the course project; final exam in May)
Location: UVM campus & throughout Vermont for field trips/hands on experience
Details/Course Website: 4 Credit through ENSC, NR & TRC (3 & 2 credits only through ENSC) http://go.uvm.edu/7y1rr
CERTIFICATE OF ACHIEVEMENT: awarded for successfully completing the 4 credits.
DETAILS: Experts in following areas will provide hands-on instruction in a wide range of topics including:
- LIQUID BIOFUELS (seed-based biodiesel; bioethanol; conversion of waste oil to biodiesel; and advanced biofuels including algae-biofuel & microbial biofuel)
- SOLID BIOFUELS (wood & grass energy, pelletization)
- BIOGAS & BIO-ELECTRICITY (the farm-based energy)
- BIOHEAT, BIOMASS CONVERSION TECHNOLOGIES FOR BIOFUEL, BIOFUELS/ENERGY RELATED ENVIRONMENTAL, ECONOMICS, & SOCIAL ISSUES
- OTHER wide-range of Biofuels related science & technology topics, background & literature
Topics & Experts: http://go.uvm.edu/eg1bx.
This course is designed to provide hands-on experience in all possible Bio-Renewable Energy areas to prepare participants from diverse backgrounds for jobs in the BioEnergy / Biofuels industry, or higher education in the field, or related entrepreneurial endeavors in bioenergy / biofuels areas.
CONTACTS: For syllabus related questions contact the Lead Instructor, Anju Dahiya, at email@example.com To register, email http://learn.uvm.edu/contact/ ) or call 800-639-3210. To make a phone or in-person appointment with a Continuing Education Advisor to discuss your options, call 802-656-2085.
INSTRUCTORS: UVM FACULTY MEMBERS and EXPERTS from VT-based Biomass/biofuels businesses (see a list on the course website).
All welcome: Degree and non-degree seeking students, budding entrepreneurs, teachers (interested in developing curriculum or projects at school or college levels), farmers, and others.
MEANS OF INSTRUCTION
- ON CAMPUS CLASSES: BY UVM FACULTY MEMBERS and EXPERTS from VT-based biofuels businesses
- HANDS-ON FIELD WORK & SERVICE LEARNING PROJECTS involving tours to Farms/Biofuel facilities & related projects. Check out past SL projects at: http://go.uvm.edu/xa20i
- TALKS by guest-speakers/experts from businesses
- BIOFUELS EQUIPMENT DEMONSTRATIONS by professionals
- ONLINE CLASSES: supplementary classes/information including video clips and discussions
Three course listings to register from:
MEET FORMER STUDENTS: http://go.uvm.edu/2xgs8